Saturday, September 3, 2011

A tailgating virgin no longer

I've been to a few football games in my time, usually at the beginning of the season in sweltering Arizona heat. Sounds fun right? When I'd walk to games with my parents, I would always kind of eye the tailgaters with a little bit of envy. It seemed like a good time to hang out, grill, much more fun than the game itself. But I somehow made it through 4 years (alright 4 1/2 shhh) of college without tailgating. I was pushed into a group of people by a drunk friend picking a fight with a bunch of Marines, but no tailgate parties.

Today was my first. It was pretty fun, although the 20-30 mph winds and clingy little girl hanging on my inseam weren't pleasant. The game was great, the stadium walls blocked the gusty winds and just allowed a breeze to come through.  A bag of popcorn brought Maggie and another little girl together and I got to sit and take it all in. Air Force football is different for sure, I missed the Arizona band and the people didn't seem nearly drunk enough. Nobody screamed You Suck at my little girl (that happened to my niece and I at a U of A vs. ASU game). It was... nice. Next week is TCU, which should ramp things up a notch in the drunk and disorderly category.

And next time I know not to bring muffins to a tailgate party. But I mean, seriously, who tailgates and eats brats at 10 AM? Oh crap, that WAS me.

2 comments:

Sarann said...

Ha, ha sounds like fun! I can't believe you never tailgated in college though!!! I don't think I ever went to a TCU game in collge because they joined the conference after I graduated. I think the most vulgar team in the conference is Wyoming, watch out for those guys if you go to that game. They regularly chant FU-BYU or FU-CSU, and they don't say "F" if ya know what I mean. I'm not sure what they would chant at Air Force, but I'm sure they come up with something.

Anonymous said...

Frostburg did not have a great football team so I never got to do that in college either. Going to the University of Maryland for tailgating and football was fun. Nothing like shotgunning a beer at 11 AM (the first and only time I did that!). Glad you had fun and that Maggie enjoyed herself.